DIY CARIBOU HUNTS in ALASKA
- LOCATION: Alaska GMU’s 23 and 26 out of Kotzebue, AK
- HUNTING SEASON: July 15 – September 30
- GROUP SIZE: To avoid an added surcharge, groups must be multiples of two, due to odd numbered groups needing extra/partial flight(s).
2023 and 2024 CARIBOU SEASONS ARE BOOKED
2025 CARIBOU SEASON
- CAMP RENTAL/FOOD/TRANSPORT: $6,500 per Hunter
- TRANSPORT ONLY: $5,900 per Hunter
- OBSERVERS: $5,500 per Observer
- YOUTH HUNTERS: $5,500 per Hunter (1st Booking with UGA/AA if Under 16)
- EXTRA DAYS: $250 per Person per Day
UNGUIDED CARIBOU HUNTING IN THE ALASKA BROOKS RANGE
In August through the end of September, the caribou migrate from the North side of the Brooks Range, heading South towards Kotzebue Sound. Our pilots will do their best to put you right in the middle of that migration. Hunters can rest assured knowing they will be placed in areas that have a long history of being productive.
Choosing the right Transportation Service on DIY Caribou Hunts is a HUGE part of a successful hunting experience.
We understand that you have a lot of options to choose from when you’re looking at DIY caribou hunts in Alaska. As with most things, changes come quickly and we the ability to adapt based on over three decades of experience.
We’ve personally seen the changes in Alaska caribou hunting over the years.
The herd size fluctuates, landscapes change, regulations vary from year to year, there have been closures to deal with, etc. As a hunting transport business, we have to be at the top of our game to provide you with the best opportunities to take your animals while in the field.
Ultimately, your success IS our success.
Our team is going to do its best for you to have a great opportunity at taking animal!
- Caribou Season: July 25 through the end of September
- Two Person per camp minimum
- Trophy quality: Excellent to Average
- Success Rate: 80%+ depending on the year
- Opportunity rate: 90%+
- Difficult hunt. Tundra is very hard to walk in.
- Be sure to get a wolf tag! Although wolves tend to be elusive creatures, they are abundant in the Arctic! Wolf tags can be purchased over the counter and hunters can purchase UP TO 10 TAGS!
- Ptarmigan hunting can be very good. In fact, some of our hunters bring a shotgun to camp so they have something to do after they’re tagged out on caribou.
- The fishing can be great too! Also, don’t forget the fishing. Approximately 95% of the camps end up on a river or stream. This means that there is WORLD CLASS Arctic char and grayling fishing.
- Must be a US citizen
DIY CARIBOU HUNTS
Our basic package is “Transport ONLY.” This means that you’re group will have to provide all of their own gear. In this case all we do is fly you into the hunting area and place you at a camp to intercept the caribou migration.
Be sure to listen to your pilot when they drop you in the field.
While we can’t give you any hunting advice or information on the caribou themselves, they will give you tips on where to set up your camp and what you need to do to be prepared for pickup.
Our caribou hunters are responsible for setup and teardown of their own tents and camping equipment.
If you don’t want to bring your own camp gear, you can upgrade your hunt to include the camp rental option. We can provide you with a camp, equipment and a food package. The camp is returned to Kotzebue when your unguided Alaska caribou hunt is over.
DIY CARIBOU HUNTS WITH CAMP RENTAL & FOOD PACKAGE
If you are coming up to Alaska for your unguided caribou hunt from the lower 48’s, it’s generally more cost effective and less hassle to rent the gear from us vs. paying for the baggage and bringing your own. Totally up to you, but we like to provide you with options to make your hunt experience the best and most hassle free that it can be.
The Camp Gear Rental & Food Package provides all the “necessities” needed while in the field for your Alaska DIY caribou hunting adventure.
Please keep in mind:
- If you required daily medicine, special foods, etc – you will want to plan accordingly and ensure you bring with you what you need. We provide a “packaged deal” – we do not do substitutions.
- The Camp Gear Rental/Food each hunter is limited to 60 pounds of gear per person. This also includes the weight of your weapon.